You’ve probably heard something about social networking in the news, from friends or from colleagues. You might even use social networking for personal use but wonder how you can use it for your business. Is it just the latest web hype or is there something to it?
Social networking can be a way to increase your business web presence beyond a website or blog. If you don’t have a website or blog, it can be a way to start your business web presence without the cost and time of developing and maintaining a website or blog. There are many social networking sites out there, but for most small businesses the main 3 to consider are Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook.
Before you begin signing up for any social networking service, there are a few questions you need to ask yourself:
- What do you want to accomplish with your web presence?
- Who are your target audiences on the Web and what’s the best way to reach them?
- What market do you compete in and who is your competition on the Web?
Keep these questions in mind as you learn about social networking through the links below. These links are just a starting point—there’s lots written about social networking. After you have a better understanding of what your business has to offer a social network and vice versa revisit the above questions and formulate a social networking plan.
- Social Networking in Plain English from commoncraft
- Twitter in Plain English from commoncraft
- Defining Twitter Goals: A Tip for Successful Use of Twitter from TwiTip
- 10 Easy Steps for Twitter Beginners from TwiTip
- 9 Tools for Finding People to Follow on Twitter from makeuseof.com
- How to: Build Community on Twitter from mashable
- How Not To: Build Your Twitter Community from twitip
- What is LinkedIn? from commoncraft
- Making Your LinkedIn Business Network Pay Dividends from lifehack
- Market your Company on LinkedIn from Gordon Choi
- Using LinkedIn as a Small Business Owner from Don’t Eat the Shrimp
- How to Use Facebook: How to Register & Join Facebook form expert village
- Facebook for Business from the Caffeinated Blog
- 12 Ways to Use FaceBook Professionally from Web Worker Daily
- Facebook Pages Get More Business Friendly from Duct Tape Marketing
- Top 10 Ways to Use Facebook to Promote your Business for Free from Click to Client